EPA- Renovate Right: Important Lead Hazard Information for Families, Child Care Providers and Schools

Renovation, Repairing or Painting (RRP) Effective April 20, 2010 The EPA's new Lead Hazard Renovate Right Laws begin. There is no grandfathering, if you are in the middle of a project you must comply immediately....that is if you are paying someone for the services.

Quotes from the EPA's Renovate Right Pamphlet:

"Federal law requires that individuals receive certain information before renovating six square feet or more of painted surfaces in a room for interior projects or more than twenty square feet of painted surfaces for exterior projects in housing, child care facilities and schools built before 1978." EPA Pamphlet

"Also, beginning April 2010, Federal Law will require contractors that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities and schools, built before 1978 to be certified and follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination. Therefore beginning in April 2010, ask to see your contractor's certification." EPA Pamphlet

The contractor must provide you with the Renovate Right pamphlet and proof of their certification. EPA Pamphlet

"Do-it-yourself'" projects. If you plan to do renovation work yourself, this pamphlet is a good start, but you will need more information to complete the work safely. Call the National Lead Information Center at 1-800424-LEAD and ask for more information on how to work safely in a home with lead-based paint." EPA Pamphlet


Okay, this is all very serious stuff and I had a few questions about the do-it yourself quote above so I did as it said, I called the above hot line and Kessiah answered. She was very friendly so I read her the quote and I asked about the "more information" that I needed to get from them. She suggested that I visit the http://www.epa.gov/lead website.

When I pressured Kessiah for more information from her, what exactly should I know from the mountains of information on the website she was not sure exactly what I should know so I tried another approach to getting more information...

I explained, "I am a home owner and I want to paint my child's room and the painted trim is already chipping." Kessiah suggested I read the website and call if I had any other questions. There is so much information about lead safe practices and testing and laws, so I pressed Kessiah more, "As a home owner do-it-yourself-er, do I have to comply with the New EPA Law Read EPA's Regulations on Residential Property Renovation at 40 CFR 745.80, Subpart E. ?"

Kessiah answered "no"... we talked some more and reasoned that even though the answer is no

one should for the safety and well being of themselves and those around, and one must comply if anyone is paid to help and that the help must be certified.

My guess is if you read what lead poisoning can do to you, you will think twice about the "do-it-yourself" part if it involves any sanding or scraping.

If you are just changing the color, open the window and follow the EPA's Healthy Indoor Painting Practices.http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/456.pdf choose no VOC paints and have some fun.

Regarding who will be enforcing this new law, I spoke with the Building Department today, and this is considered to be in the Health Departments realm of business. I am sure there will be more to come regarding this issue.